Monday, June 21, 2010

Expanding My Domain

So, I did my best for the 2009-2010 school year. I bought some art books such as: I must say though, i ended up going to the web more than anything. So many real Art Teacher's have wonderful blogs, with awesome examples and even lessons which a faker like me could use. My K-2 class of 15 students had lots of fun painting, gluing, cutting, and even making pinch pots. we only did about 7 projects all year. I just didn't realize how long it can take to get my point across to this age group.

I was taken aback by how many times I heard, "I can't draw that" or "I don't know how to do that". I was also surprised by how many of them were more in to how fast they could do it, rather than making the best project they could. I wish that I did have some formal Art education, because I found that I LOVE "teaching" Art!

The school has asked me to expand my volunteer Art classes up through the 6th grade, to give the teachers a break. I have agreed, because I think this is something I will really enjoy doing. I am, however, slightly terrified as well. I have NO Art budget. Anything used will have to come out of the classroom teachers classroom budget. We need so many basic things. I think I will see if the teachers can add a set of paints, paper, and pastels to the classroom supply list. Or, maybe I can get a store to donate the supplies...

I am excited, and slightly queasy at the same time!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Thank you for your visit to my blog and for your comments on the color mixing lessons. No matter what, kids love the mixing and they seem to be delighted with mixing many different versions of mud! We only did 3 colors the first day and 3 the next and we made those patches fairly large. They were able to make the extra mixes on that second day and I told them to test the recipes on the newspaper along side of the project. They all had a few sample spots that were murky green or brownish! I'll be sharing more samples of their work in a post very soon. And I have a funny remark from a child that I will also share. Stay tuned.