Monday, October 18, 2010

Time Flies 1.2 Second - Fourth Grade Projects

Second - Fourth have been working hard, or hardly working at times...lol We did a baseline portrait to kick off the year. Due to Jury duty, I missed the first day of class, so their regular Room Teacher gave them a piece of paper and asked them to draw a picture of themselves.

Sara, Second Grade

Max, Fourth Grade


That was followed up by a lesson on Lines and Joan Miro. We did some abstract, geometric pieces. They took a LOT longer than I ever anticipated they would, four 50 minute class periods! Looking at some of them, I just can't imagine that was all that was accomplished in what is essentially, 3.3 hours...


Amanda, Third Grade

Jack, Third Grade



Cammie, Third Grade

After that, the teacher requested a project incorporating recycling, and I had Jury Duty again, so we did a very simple project using images from old Magazines. I printed out a large font using the first letter in their names. They were instructed to cut them out, then pick one primary color and one secondary color. They were to find each color in the magazines, choosing one for the letter, and one for the background. I still need to photograph those.

I really enjoy helping/teaching these kids what little I know about art. But...I am at a loss in how to get the students to really care about art class. I was given a quote of "My parents don't care, they say it's JUST art. They don't care what I do so why should I?" It is disheartening sometimes...

No comments: